Old October 16th 03, 06:55 PM
Akuvikate

Default Odd question...

(H Schinske) wrote in message ...
wrote:

I agree that it sounds like Alena is fine. However sunken fontanel
and lack of tears are both *really* late signs of dehydration (iirc,
babies lose 15-20% of their body weight before those happen).

Just to mention (I know Kate knows this, I just want to be reassuring), very
young babies, which I think the OP's baby wasn't, don't cry tears anyway, and
fontanels sometimes feel a bit concave no matter what. I'm sure *really* sunken
fontanels look different, but I know I worried over my babies' being concave
when the pediatrician pooh-poohed there being anything wrong.

--Helen

Yeah, good point. Dunno how many times I wrote AFOFS (anterior
fontanel open, flat, and soft) on a chart without noticing that they
actually can dip down a little bit. I haven't seen a truly sunken one
in real life, but in pictures it's not just a little dip.

I remember when the Bug first started crying tears. For some reason
it broke my heart so much more to see her little wet eyelashes after
she'd been crying!

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003