Old September 20th 05, 10:55 PM
Tom & Sandy Farley Tom & Sandy Farley is offline
Junior Member

Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_S
My 7 year old (almost 8) is just driving us nuts by his absent
mindeness - I mean the type of behavior where we ask him to put on his
shoes, 5 min later we remind him, he still is playing around and then 5
min later we remind him and by the fourth time, I lose my patience and
raise my voice...
You don't say if this is a relatively recent development on his part or a change in your expectations.

Have you considered that it may not come from inattention but from over attention to so much at once that he cannot prioritize among all the stmuli? We experienced this disorganized attention to everything with our daughter from about age four on. We worked on sequencing and categorizing and preplaning activities with her. Because she compensated so well for reading difficulties, we didn't find out how dyslexic she is until 9th grade. Disorganization is one of the aspects of the dyslexia spectrum. Is Attention Excess Disorder [AED] an identifiable condition?

[Took her 6 years to get her degree in theatre arts. She is a good camp counselor, stage manager, restaurant manager, etc.]

Tom