Old September 21st 05, 11:55 PM
Molly Bentsen

Tom & Sandy Farley wrote:
S_S Wrote:

My 7 year old (almost 8) is just driving us nuts by his absent
mindeness - I mean the type of behavior where we ask him to put on his
shoes, 5 min later we remind him, he still is playing around and then
5
min later we remind him and by the fourth time, I lose my patience and
raise my voice...

You don't say if this is a relatively recent development on his part or
a change in your expectations.

Have you considered that it may not come from inattention but from over
attention to so much at once that he cannot prioritize among all the
stmuli? We experienced this disorganized attention to everything with
our daughter from about age four on. We worked on sequencing and
categorizing and preplaning activities with her. Because she
compensated so well for reading difficulties, we didn't find out how
dyslexic she is until 9th grade. Disorganization is one of the aspects
of the dyslexia spectrum. Is Attention Excess Disorder [AED] an
identifiable condition?

[Took her 6 years to get her degree in theatre arts. She is a good camp
counselor, stage manager, restaurant manager, etc.]

Tom

I think I am facing a similar issue with my 10-year-old,
who is an avid and skilled reader, but whose spelling
and writing weaknesses and patterns are pointing me to
research dyslexia. I realize it's been a number of years
since you faced this with your now-adult daughter, but
I'm curious how you went about getting her diagnosed.
Did you work through the public schools or seek private
assessment?

I'm gathering information at a dizzying rate, but haven't
settled on a clear path forward yet...

--Molly