Old November 3rd 06, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Erin

Default Baby spits up blood after breast feeding

This happened to me. It is most likely your blood. Blood is an
irritant, so it makes baby spit up. You might want to consult with your
GYN to get some treatment for your nipples. Maybe a lactation
consultant (like the other poster said) could help you with latching
on. If it's not the latch, it might be thrush. In my case, it was
thrush.

Don't freak out. This is very common. When it happened to me, I went to
the emergency room and the doctor told me that he sees these cases a
lot.

Erin
Lek wrote:
Hello,

Yesterday my baby spat up some blood shortly after breastfeeding. I
immediately told my husband and we called the doctor. The baby seams fine
and the doctor told us that it could be related to cracked nipples. Mine
are cracked and sore. If the baby spits up after bottle feeding, there is
no blood.

Tonight the baby is spitting up blood again after breastfeeding and we
called the doctor again and will be bringing the baby to the doctor first
thing in the morning. I can't help but feel terribly frightened by this
experience.

The baby is now 3 months old and looks and acts like a healthy 3 month old
should.

Has anyone had similar experiences?

Lek, mother of 3 month old Davelyn.