Old July 10th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids
nimue

Default What the Research Says About Physical Punishment

Tori M wrote:
Yes we taught them that if they play in the road they could become
dead and that Mommy and Daddy would be sad if they became dead. We
also explained that lesson about tying things to their necks.
Maybe I am paranoid after seeing a kid hit by a car in a driveway
but I also do not want them playing in my driveway.

That is a tad frightening. How old are your kids?

Old enough to have watched Bambi and The Lion King. Bonnie knows that
dead means you don't come back.
We have a nice amount of lawn for 2 kids to play in and that is the
only place I want them. We go out, when they do not obey me we go
back in.

When they don't obey WHAT precisely?

The don't stay in the yard, they play in the driveway, they ride their
bike towards the road.

They run towards the road we go in they get spanked and then we
explain why and reinforce it by reminding them that mommy and Daddy
do not want them Dead.

They probablydont have the first earthly idea what dead is and no
amount of yammering will explain it the way you mean it.

Actually they do know what dead means.. But thank you.. at least
Bonnie does.

It's just so sick. I can see Homer Simpson using that to terrorize the
kids, "Don't play in the road or you will DIE!!!! And mommy and daddy will
be DESTROYED!!!!! And it will be ALL YOUR FAULT!!! That is what you get
for not listening to mommy and daddy -- you get DEAD!!!!!" because he is too
thick to find a gentler, more effective way to communicate with the kids.

Get the books I reference above. Really.

If I think of it when my husband goes back to work I will look into
it. He was laid off yesterday.

Go to the library and get them. Your kids should go, too.

Tori

--
nimue

"Let your freak-flag fly, and if someone doesn't get you, move on."
Drew Barrymore