Old May 2nd 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

Default Compromise of Arrears Program (COAP) in California

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"Bob Whiteside" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in message
. ..

"DB" wrote in message

"TNK" wrote in

Just looking for opinions or experience, personal or professional.

Justa thought, can your child not apply for student loans as your
income isn't high enough with the debt load?

Tried that also. Although she is working part time, is an honor roll
student, and takes all the Advanced classes in Physics, Chemistry and
Calculus, the bank still shy away because she is under 18 and a short
employment history. Even when I was going to co-sign the loan
application. I have no assets, only debt. I was the NCP for 12 years.
Getting a student loan is almost as difficult as a mortgage, it seems.

Go to the U.S. Department of Education website and look at the
information on FAFSA. She should easily qualify for a government
subsidized student loan which she doesn't have to pay towards until after
graduation and you can get a low interest Parent Loan to cover what she
can't borrow. CS paid is considered a reduction from income and CS
received is an addition to income.

I did the FAFSA thing too.

I was hoping the COAP would be the answer, as long as I could come up with
an agreed lump sum amount . I am still fighting to get the NCP off my
name, as I am clearly the CP at this time, and have been since August
2007. I call the DCSS and tell them by the definition of their own forms
I am the custodial parent, yet alone the court order stating so also. My
credit report was stating I owe almost $2,000 a month in ongoing support,
when I have a court order stating different. I know this takes time, but
it is ridiculous even when you have the facts.

Why don't you discuss your case with this person who is identified easily in
a Google search:

The contact is Laura Choate, DCSS, COAP Unit Manager, at 916-464-5881.

No one here can help you. Only Ms. Choate can help determine if you meet
the specific criteria for COAP.