Old August 26th 11, 07:21 AM
revlynJ revlynJ is offline
Junior Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericka Kammerer View Post
Donna Metler wrote:

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message

Add this to another reason to try to limit
unnecessary primary c-sections--apparently, a previous
c-section increases the risk of stillbirth in
subsequent pregnancies. Fortunately, while the
increase is statistically significant, it is not huge
(this study found an increase from 0.5 per 1000 to
1.1 per 1000 for unexplained stillbirth at or after
39 weeks), so the odds are still overwhelmingly in
favor of a healthy baby. Still, something that should
be considered when weighing either elective c-section
or interventions that increase the risk of c-section.

I'm not sure that correlation and causation are correct here. If C-sections
are performed for any reason other than "I want one", that implies that
there was a problem of some sort with the previous pregnancy. Since almost
any previous complication increases the risk of complications in the next
pregnancy, it is logical that women who have had a previous C-section would
be at higher risk for pregnancy complications, and therefore pregnancy loss,
including stillbirth.

But note that the study showed an increase
in *UNEXPLAINED* stillbirths. Those you described
would be *explained* stillbirths.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Hey, I heard lately that a growing number of people, including medical professionals, are coming to resist the idea of “designer births” and non-medically necessary cesarean sections. A group of public clinics in Britain is prohibiting all medically needless c-sections (NHS clinics suspending unneeded cesarean sections) because it’s unfair to ask the public to pay for an unneeded surgery. Should women have the right to choose what kind of birth they want?