Old December 5th 07, 05:17 AM posted to misc.kids
Pologirl

Default Am I hurting my child by putting her in daycare at 22 months?

Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward wrote:
What I'd love is to hear some positive stories, and if there's any
scientific backing to my relative's claims.

The scientific studies go both ways, reflecting the fact that relative
differences between home and daycare can go both ways, depending on
the quality of the home environment and of the daycare environment.
So what really matters is your own answer to this fundamental
question: can you obtain daycare of a quality equal to or exceeding
the quality of your child's own home environment?

When he was your oldest's current age, Monkey Boy was wild to go to
daycare where he could play and do all the other fun activities that a
good daycare provides. We visited some daycares, and he fit right in
and sobbed when it was time for us to leave.

If I needed to work full time I would feel quite comfortable putting
my kids in one of the better daycares available to me. Or, at least I
would feel comfortable trying it. Daycare and preschool are not a
concern, compared to the K and 1st grades looming on the horizon.
Monkey Boy, now 3.5, is well on his way to reading and writing and I
doubt he would do well in any schooling program that uses drills and
worksheets and the like.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl