Old January 26th 05, 12:25 PM
Iuil

"Jill" wrote in message
. com...
Is Augmentin ok while breastfeeding? I'm sure it is as my doctor who
prescribed knows I am b/f, but she is not the MOST advocating or
knowledgable on bf, and I just want to make sure there is no reason this
drug is NOT rec'd or ideal for someone nursing an 8 month old baby. I

think
it's basically just penicillin, right? But I know I was prescribed another
anti-biotic when Rachel was several months old for an infection, and it
messed her tummy up.

How much of this actually gets into breastmilk? I am supposed to take it

2x
per day and Rachel nurses a lot. 6 times at least. 2-4 long times, and 4-6
quick sessions, in between her table feedings/cereal etc.

augmentin - amoxicillin + clavulanate

Addition of clavanulate extends spectrum of amoxicillin by inhibiting beta
lactamase enzymes. Small amounts of of amoxicillin (0.9 mg/L milk) are
secreted in breastmilk. No harmful effects have been reported. See
amoxicillin.* Although clavulanic acid is well absorbed and diestributed, no
reprots of secretion into human milk exist but it should be expected (t1/2 =
1 hour). May cause changes in GI flora and possible fungal (candida)
overgrowth)

Category L1

Paediatric concerns - none reported but observe for diarrhoea, rash

* Amoxicillin is also a category L1, approved by the AAP as usually
compatible with breastfeeding.

Jean