Old June 27th 03, 02:32 AM
Cele

Default Braces Trauma

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:03:14 GMT, "turtledove"
wrote:

wrote in message
.com...
In . com,
turtledove typed:
"Joelle" wrote in message

Headgear? Try the elastic bands. I had not only an overbite, but a cross
bite as well. I had two rubber bands from back molars to front teeth on
each side, and then two from lower left to upper right...in front. Made

it
hard to talk. Every time I opened my mouth to speak inevitably one would
come flying off. Talk about EMBARRASSMENT when it was in front of a BOY!!
Glad that it's over. And YES it was worth it!!!

hehe...I'll top your elastic bands and give you Head Gear AND Elastic Bands.

LOL Too bad my elder daughter's not here. She'll go your head gear,
elastic bands, extractions, AND retainer to 21. Well, okay, she's only
18, but the retainer's still in there and not coming out for at least
a couple of years.....

And at five flipping grand, those bloody teeth had better be
STUNNINGLY PERFECT.

The elastic bands were worn 24/7 for 12 months. The head gear was worn 12
hours a day for 12 months. But hell, like I said, it got rid of the
overbite, the funked up positioning of my jaw, and my crooked teeth. I
actually had a permanent retainer on my bottom teeth until I was 21. My
bottom teeth were really crooked and the orthodontist wanted to make sure
that they didn't move back into the crooked position while I was still
growing up. The retainer was attached to my bottom canine teeth with a bar
that was behind the teeth and a way to attach rubber bands in front of the
teeth at night (again the 12 hour deal).

Oh yes...the memories of trying to talk with rubber bands. I would have to
take them out while I was taking singing lessons due to the fact I couldn't
open my mouth wide enough to sing properly....
and the memories of trying to get the band attached to the back teeth...

Oh yeah. D had all manner of hassle with hers when singing as well,
both in lessons and in performance. Now she only has the retainer so
it's not so bad. The flute was the instrument she really wanted to
play, too, but the band teacher made her do clarinet because of her
braces. She was some ticked. Now she's taught herself some flute,
'cause now she doesn't have the railroad tracks any more....

Ugh.

T and I were both lucky. Big mouths, no braces, naturally straight
teeth.

Cele