Old January 1st 05, 11:33 AM
Sarah Vaughan

In message .net, Todd
Gastaldo writes

major snippage
Sarah, shrugging is not appropriate. Blithely saying of the penile
cancer scare tactic "It is true" and not mentioning the American
medical religion's LIES is not appropriate.

Quoting me out of context is not appropriate either.

I specifically stated, in the post in question, that I did _not_ regard
the penile cancer scare tactic, as you aptly describe it, as a reason to
circumcise babies routinely. From the post in its entirety, it was also
clear that I was siding with the OP, a woman who did not want her son to
undergo a routine circumcision. I have made it clear both in that same
thread and elsewhere on this ng in the past that I am against routine
infant circumcision. As for the shrug, that was in response to the fact
that we seemed to have had a minor mutual misunderstanding about a
detail of the debate, and was not, repeat, *not* in response to the fact
that the American medical profession apparently considers it appropriate
to leave it up to parents to decide whether to have skin removed
forcibly from their children's genitals for spurious reasons.

The comment on reduced penile cancer rates was in accordance with what
I've previously read in medical sources. Established medical wisdom has
been wrong on subjects enough times before that it wouldn't surprise me
greatly if you were right and the information I'd previously read was
wrong, and, if so, I'm happy to accept that. I am not, however, happy
to accept you quoting me out of context and titling your post in such a
way that it appears that I support a position on circumcision that I
have made it quite clear that I vehemently oppose.

Sarah

--
"I once requested an urgent admission for a homeopath who had become depressed
and taken a massive underdose" - Phil Peverley