Old November 16th 05, 06:53 PM
Nikki

Default nuchal fold in 20 week ultrasound causing distress

k_raps73 wrote:
She told me that chances of me having a downs baby
was 1 out of 47. They want me to come back for an ECG of my baby's
heart in 5 weeks which I am going to do. I even asked the doctor if
the measurement of the nuchal fold was bigger because the baby was
much bigger than the calculated due date.She said that the measuremnt
would have not mattered had the baby been 20 weeks or more (as per
his measurements and not the previously calculated date of 19 weeks
and 6 days).I cried when I came out of that doctor's office and
having been trying to stay positive. I console myself with the fact
that the ultrasound images look normal and my quad tests were
negative. However I am still so worried, I can't sleep and need
advice on this topic.

I don't have any great advice. I wish you luck and the chances are very
good that your baby is healthy and has the correct number of chromosomes in
the correct places!

Give some thought to the amnio. It is standard procedure to offer them to
any woman with a risk marker whether that is simply age or the results of
some test. I personally chose to decline the amnio when I was in a similar
situation and was then offered a Level II ultrasound which apparently gives
more detailed and accurate measurements. That was before my 20wk ultrasound
and was done after the quad screen. I don't know how much it would offer
you but I would certainly speak to the doctor about it.

Keep us posted.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99