Old September 22nd 03, 09:37 PM
Shana

Default My kid taking up with the class "bad kid"( kinda long, sorry)

"Brian Anderson" wrote in message
Shana wrote:

What can I tell him at home to help him see that this is not a healthy
friendship or a good situation to be in and that his should avoid this

kid
at all cost?

Let him learn it on his own. Right now he sees the kid
differently than you do, and until he sees him more the way
you do, your words won't really sink in.

Very good point.

I haven't always approved of my daughters' choice of friends,
but having been "best friends" with an extremely bossy,
manipulative, and egocentric little girl a few years back was
an invaluable lesson for my older daughter. They're still in
the same class two years later, but my daughter hardly even
talks to her any more -- and now she recognizes controlling
actions in other kids and knows when to keep her distance.

If you want a really good book about friendships turning bad,
read WHO MOVED MY CHEESE by Spencer Johnson to your son. It's
allegedly a management training book, but it's really a short
fable about some mice and miniature people in a maze and how
they react when something that was once good slowly turns bad.
My older daughter did a book report on it when she was in
third grade, and I have made references to the characters
dozens of times since then when I saw her in similar
situations, and she has always understood immediately.

Thank you! As long as we can ensure that he feels safe at school and he is
properly behaved at home( for a 5 yr. old!), we will just chalk it up as a
lesson in getting along with others, and let the teacher deal with any
disipline issues in the future.