Old October 28th 08, 09:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default another expecting the unexpected

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I guess that counts as an announcement! Much to our surprise we seem to be
expecting number 3. Over the last few months I finally got to the point
where I was content with not having another child, regardless of happenings
in pregnancy we'd planned to have a gap between 2 and 3 anyway. With a bad
pregnancy and birth for number 2 it took me a long time to process that
number 3 wasn't going to happen, but I eventually swung round and was
starting to feel that actually I didn't want one after a long gap, I was
beginning to enjoy the freedom!

In early September, I joked with my husband that if I got pregnant later
that month, I'd have the same due date as both our previous children, who
were both due on 14th June. I think fate settled things at that point, we
think I must have got pregnant the first time I used a new diaphragm, I
remember checking it was over my cervix when I used it and I'm pretty sure
I used the right about or spermicide, but even used correctly, I know it's
only about 95% reliable. Ironically, I'd made an appointment where I
intended to ask about other more reliable methods, but by then it was too
late!

I'm now 7+1, so it's still early days, but I'm very sick, more than either
of my other pregnancies, so I'm hopeful that it will stick around! Having
had the other two in the UK, I know live in the US, so I've got the system
here to figure out now! I'd investigated it before and had thought that I
would probably not be accepted by a midwife, but it turns out that the
nearest to us are a pair where one is also a natropathic doctor, that
qualification gives them a lot more breathing room in state law as they
can consult her rather than going to an obstetrician and they have taken
me on, which was such a relief. I've explained how there are situations
where I wouldn't take the chance of a vaginal birth and they are happy
with that and keen to work with me to avoid those situations - having had
a severe injury from birthing a posterior baby that didn't turn, I'm not
happy going into labour with anything other than a good position.

This is great news as my biggest fear had been vaginal birth in hospital,
if it's coming out that way then I want to be in water under the care of a
midwife I know, not whichever nurse is assigned and the doctor called at
the very end.

I've already had some bloods drawn and they all came back fine other than
very low vitamin D, I don't know if I've ever had that tested before, I
remember reading somewhere about vitamin D being related to perception of
pain in someway, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm
supposed to be taking 5000IU per day. The problem is, I'm sick so often, I
don't know how much stays down!

I'm curious as to the frequent sickness, I was very nauseous with #1, but
only sick twice at 14 and 28 weeks, so not even first trimester. With #2 I
had less nausea and more sickness, but it was right through so it was
probably only a couple of times in the first trimester, right now I'm sick
in the morning on an almost daily basis and occasionally at other times of
day. #1 was a boy and #2 was a girl, so I can't attribute this to the baby
being the opposite sex! Twins did cross my mind, but I'm not rushing to
get a scan to figure that out, though if it continues, I might consider it
as I would find it very reassuring to find out it's only one!

This group is really quiet these days, where else are people hanging out?
I've really valued having people to talk to, but message boards that stick
10 messages per page and have loads of colours and no restrictions about
people putting tickers in their signatures drive me crazy!

Cheers
Anne

Oh! Congrats! Another one with a little "surprise!" baby

My first 2 pregnancies were identical.
I had nothing but horrible morning sickness day and night right from the
start until the end. Certain foods and smells were horrible triggers -
strawberries were one, and I remember even lingering cigarette smoke made me
puke... and I was a smoker before being pregnant both times. I had a ton of
energy from day one until the end as well. I was in school full time and
working at night. I felt awesome, but that morning sickness was horrid -
but it didn't seem to slow me down or anything. Both were boys.
My 3d and 4th pregnancies were completely opposite from 1 and 2... and
identical to eachother as well. No morning sickness at all (other than when
I'd brush my teeth, I'd more often gag and throw up. Foods and smells did
not bother me, although I found I would almost crave the strangest of
things - I'd unroll my windows driving through construction to get that
great smell of them oiling freshly asphalted roads. I LOVED the horrible
smells of things like WD-40, permanent markers and, well, fueling up my
diesel car was like being in heaven with the smell of diesel. And the smell
of my car - diesel and all - was so great. It was probably really bad, but
those smells were so great for some odd reason and I really struggled to
control myself! I had NO energy. I was always tired, sore, couldn't
sleep... Both of those pregnancies were girls.
Now with this latest one, it's a girl as well and the same thing as #3 and
#4... No energy, no sickness, no sleep, sore, tired... just the exact same.

I do check in here fairly often, but it definitely seems to be quite dead
lately... Back when I was pg with DD1 and even DD2, it was bouncing around
here. Tons of activity, people always posting and replying, I even remember
there were lists kept of who was due when. I kind of miss that.