Old November 4th 03, 01:35 AM
Akuvikate

Default Scalding EBM

It seems that we may have finally figured out the bottle problem (in
that the Bug was very inconsistent about taking them, and increasingly
refused altogether). We've had more success with a fast-flow nipple
and with pumped milk that I've scalded. Though some babies may not
object to the soapy taste of milk with a lot of lipase, the Bug
unfortunately does (which means I have a ~50oz freezer stash that now
appears useless). I must say I agree with her -- the stuff smells
vile.

Anyone out there with any tricks of the trade for this? I've found
that when I'm heating just a few ounces of milk from a particular
pumping session it's darn hard to scald without letting any of it
boil. And I can't save up several sessions because the whole point is
to scald it before lipase starts breaking things down. What badness
happens if the milk starts to boil? We're talking a few bottles a
week here at most, so it doesn't matter if it's somewhat inferior to
"fresh from the tap".

TIA,

Kate
and the Bug, June 8 2003