Old March 16th 05, 09:22 PM
Stephanie

"bizby40" wrote in message

Our Girl Scout leaders are retiring after 5 years. All I wanted to do was
to get a little gift, show a little appreciation. After all, we haven't
given them anything as a group *ever*.

So I send out e-mail and ask for ideas - "Great idea! Thanks! Whatever

you
want to do is fine!"

Grrr.

So I decide to give them a framed picture of the girls, and have the girls
sign the matte. I also decided to get a little brass plate to go on the
picture frame. I asked the parents to have their girls wear their

uniforms
to school tomorrow (regular meeting day) so I could get the picture. I

also
asked for donations to pay for the framing, with whatever is left over to

be
put into gift certificates for the leaders.

"How much should we donate?"

"Oh, I don't know, how about $10"

"$10 is too much!"

"Okay, well whatever you want is fine."

"My daughter doesn't have a uniform!"

"I only meant her sash or vest -- most of the girls don't have full
uniforms."

"Well, *my* daughter doesn't have a sash or vest!"

Grrr.

"Look, wear whatever you want -- show up or don't show up -- donate or

don't
donate -- I *don't* care anymore! Why did I ever get into this???"

Okay, I didn't actually send out that last one, but the others all went

back
and forth. Now I know why I'm not the one to try to organize anything

from
a group. Too much hassle. You know, I didn't expect every parent to
donate, but this isn't a collection for the co-worker you didn't really

like
in the first place, these two women have put in countless hours over the
course of 5 long years for *our* children! There are ~15 regular

meetings
during the year, plus field trips, camping and so forth. It's a

tremendous
amount of work, and I'm personally ashamed that we've never done anything

as
a group to show our appreciation. I've given them token thank you gifts

in
the past, as have a few others, but the bulk of the parents have not.

So I'm a bit surprised at how few people have responded at all. And

rather
frustrated by those being difficult about it. And honestly, I didn't know
what to say to the woman whose daughter doesn't have a sash or vest. I

know
her well enough to know money isn't the issue. Her son has a full scout
uniform, and both kids are well equipped for the many sports they play. I
mean, obviously she doesn't need to have the vest to be in the picture,

but
why the heck doesn't she have it? It's not even the girl's first year in
scouts!

Anyway, I do have one question. If the bulk of the parents donated, then

was planning to give the pictures from the "troop". However, if only 4 or

5
out of 23 help out, what should I do? Should I give only the people that
donated a chance to sign the card? Would you feel cheated if everyone who
did nothing was given the same "credit" as you if you donated?

Bizby

You should first -- hear me say I'm sorry this is such a bummer! Then
second, IMO, you should be larger and more gracious than the other parents
and give from the troup. I think all the girls should sign the card. It is
not their fault if their parents are ... whatever they are. I don't hink
giving is about "credit," it is about the feelings of the recipients. And in
this case, it may also be about the feelings of the girls.

Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck.

Stephanie