Old March 20th 06, 07:53 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Earliest Memories Remembered During Adulthood

Hi:

I am aware the average age at which long-term retention of memories is
3. What the earliest age known at which a person has had long-term
memories that were retained in adulthood [i.e. something similar to the
Guiness Book of Records for earliest memory]?

I seem to be able to remember things that happened when I was 2 years
old and slightly earlier. I am now 22 years old.

I used to live in Stamford, Connecticut.

I really like the house in Stamford, Connecticut. It was on 263
Strawberry Hill Avenue. I lived in that house for the 1st 2.5 years of
my life. I was born on 10-22-83. It was my favorite house. But I wasn't
in that house for the entire first 2.5 years. I had gone to India in
'86 from January to July. I could differentiate Stamford and India from
each other. I can remember returning from India to Connecticut. I
recall feeling a sigh of relief after I came back to Stamford. After I
came back we only stayed in the Stamford house for 3 days [well, my
parents think it was 3 days! For me it felt much longer, even though I
loved the Stamford house!] before moving to a borough called "Queens"
in New York. I recall begging to go back to Stamford after we move to
Queens.

My family is Indian. There are some Indian songs that they played that
remind me of the house in Stamford, Connecticut. When listening to
those songs, I actally feel like I am in that house again! It is just
so amazing and real.

I can remember seeing one of my aunts in the hospital. This was when my
aunt was giving birth to her son in September of '85. I obviously
didn't know why she was in the hospital but I do remember her lying on
a bed. I can remember her being very uncomfortable. This memory has
been confirmed by my parents as the day my aunt gave birth to her son.
During this, I was a month less than 2 years of age!

Scientifically [at least in current research] what deteremines how
early long-term memory starts, whether these memories are retained, and
how long they are retained?

Thanks,

Green