Old December 11th 06, 12:23 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Paula

Default Single Older Mom

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:48:14 EST, wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tell the child who is upset that you need to be where you don't have
to work any more and it will be a good move for you, though of course
you are sorry you will be farther away from them. Point out, however,
that you will also have a lot more free time since you won't have to
work, so you will be able to call, write, visit as much as you used to
even with the longer distance. Write down what you have done with the
grandkids in the last month living close by. If it has been so many
hours of talking with a couple hours of face to face time, make a plan
for how that is going to continue wherever you are. You do have the
right to live where it is best for you to live and your grown children
should be happy for what interaction they have without expecting or
demanding it. It is not your job to help raise your grandchildren. To
the extent it is your mutual pleasure to have a close relationship,
that can be maintained from a couple hours away. My dad lives more
than 2 hours' driving distance from me and we still see him at least
once a month and call and email several times per week and he works
full time so it all has to happen on weekends. My kids would love to
have him move into our house, never mind our neighborhood, but they
are fine with seeing him as often as they do and are extremely close
to him. You can be close without having to be as close physically as
well.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,