Old December 11th 06, 03:01 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
[email protected]

Default Single Older Mom

Thanks for your input. Yes...all the grandkids are computer literate
and most have cell phones and text messaging.
The daughter and teenage grandchildren that are upset are always
communicating by email, text messaging, cell phones, and they even have
a Web-Cam. Their father is a director of information technology so
they have all the latest bells and whistles. I had planned on getting
a web-cam for myself and would probably purchase one for each of my
other 3 children's family as they are not that expensive. For
instance, last night, the oldest grandchild turned 19 and we were all
out for dinner. They were telling me..see nana you would miss this
dinner..dinner was about 90 min. My reply was, No..I would not..and
you probably would have been stuck with me staying with you from Friday
afternoon to Monday morning. I know they know how to use 'chat rooms'
and I am sure I could learn that also. I use emails all the time.
Also, told them Xmas Eve would not change because I would still spend
it with them and then go to my other children on Xmas Day. We all see
each other the day after, as my youngest has a party for everyone. She
really is the most 'family' oriented. We shall see!

Jayne Ashworth wrote:
Do they have a computer with Internet access? Or can
get they get to one? School? Library? If you can
find a way for them to be in contact via chat (or, if
there is a camera available, via a video and chat
connection), then you could schedule times to stay in
touch without being geographically co-located. If
they don't have cell phones (and parents are agreeable),
a pre-paid cell phone (so they cannot go over their
minutes!) where you can text with them might also provide
frequent contact. If you do for one set of grandkids,
you likely have to do for all, so see if everyone can
get on-board and help with the finances to stay in
touch. :-) And plan now for times to get together
through the year - a long weekend here, perhaps a week
there, you travel once then they travel. Find a way to
retire. Life's too short to spend it working forever
(unless that is really your thing, which it sounds like
it might not be.)

Jayne
contemplating retirement someday ...