Old November 8th 04, 08:25 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default How do I make him think potty training is his idea?

I have a 3.5yo son. He is not only not potty trained, he is not
even remotely interested in potty training. Whenever anyone
mentions potty, he insists that, "I just like diapers."

This kid is a complete control freak, and has a history of wittholding
his urine to an extreme that we definitely want to avoid. We also know
(from that experience) that he is physically capable of controlling his
bladder. He has a seriously stretched bladder from this experience
which can only be resolved, we've been told, by getting him to pee
every 2 hours, which isn't really even on the table until he starts
going potty. In the meantime, he's on a maintenance dose of Keflex
which we don't really like having to do.

So... it would be really great to get him potty trained and get him
peeing frequently to shrink down his bladder. There are several
standing bribes waiting for him should he choose to pee in the potty.
We have books, we have videos, we have a CD. He likes them, but does
not want to emulate the characters. He has a dozen pair of awesome
underwear (Scooby Doo, Bob the Builder, etc...) that he has never
worn. He goes to preschool where most of the children are trained
and he sees them using the potty all the time.

Right after he wets his diaper, he wants to be changed, but if that is
delayed, he "gets used to it" and doesn't care. (The withholding
incidents started when he suddenly didn't want to pee in his diaper,
but also didn't want to pee in the potty, on a tree, on the lawn, on a
rock, or anywhere else!)

Any ideas on how to get him to potty train without him knowing that we
had anything to do with it? ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Robyn
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt