Old September 9th 06, 04:42 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
Mommy of 2

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

This topic started, I think, (as I skimmed, not read) as pushing for
Meds, to ADHD, to grades.

Medicating ADD/ADHD children (in MY opinion) is absurd. My 5 year old
was "diagnosed" as ADHD, but I refused any form of meds for her. 6
months after her "diagnosis" it turned out she has sleep apnea, and
holds her pee until she's about to have an accident. These two
combined, caused her to be cranky, hyper, out of control, and annoying.
She couldn't sit still because she had to pee really, really bad. Only
slept 5-6 hours per night, and couldn't fall asleep because by bedtime
she was beyond over tired. One day she went out with my father for
about 7.5 hours, and when they got home he was in such a bad mood. My
daughter wouldn't listen, she wouldn't sit still, she was really "bad."
All she needed was to use the bathroom, but doesn't go because she
doesn't want to miss something.

ASKING for meds for your child is even more absurd.

Grades. I didn't read the whole topic well, but I will say that at 23
years old my High School grades embarass me. I'm taking developmental
math now in college, and I had to get extra help on division because in
Middle, and High Shool, I never showed up to class, and if I did, I
went to sleep. Grades are so important, and the kids with low (who
don't care) grades are probably embarassed to admit they need help,
have parents who aren't involved, are stressed out, depressed . . . my
OPINION list goes on and on.