Old May 4th 07, 09:07 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_2_]

Default potentially found a car

Many people do not realize this. I frequently see
child restraints in rear-facing third row seats in cars that
I know for sure say in the operator's manual that you're
not supposed to do that. Even safety seat experts who
feel that it's safer for kids old enough to be out of
restraints to be sitting in the rear-facing seats say that
one should not use child restraints in those positions.
It is possible that some station wagons with rear
facing third row seating are designed to be safe with
child restraints, but unless there's a clear mention in
the operator's manuals for both the car and the restraint,
I wouldn't do it.

Thanks Ericka, to be honest, it wasn't something I'd really plan to do
anyway, I thought it might be very occasionally useful, but if we've already
got them installed in the middle row, we're not going to shift them for a
short journey and for a long journey we'd likely have luggage and not opt to
squeeze into one car. I don't think this kind of thing would swing us away
from this car, if we can use the extra seats in certain ways, it would be a
bonus, I'll check and see if they'll take adults as that would be
frustrating if we didn't have that option either, I quite like the idea of
when my parents are here in the summer that all 6 of us can go out in one
car for local trips. They will hire a car for independence and taking some
trips without us. We are all going to Mt St Helens and that will require
luggage and two cars, but it doesn't make sense to take 2 cars into central
Seattle and pay for parking twice if at all possible.

Anne