Old November 13th 03, 04:10 PM
SMK

Default Pedicures/Calf Massage...total no-no?

Zucca4 wrote:

My lamaze teacher/labor nurse advised no calf massage at all during
pregnancy...something about the blood being heavier during pregnancy and
collecting in the lower body and massage unearthing a clot that could travel to
the lungs and.....you know the rest. I ran it by my doctor and he absolutley
agreed. I was a bit surprised as no one advised against this during the
beginning of my pregnancy
(now in week 38) and I had a ton of pedicures with very deep accupressure to my
calves. My doctor even went so far as to say that during a Charley Horse or
leg cramp not to massage the calf which is so instinctive for me. He said it
could be dangerous and I should just flex my foot or stand up.

I'm kind of annoyed it wasn't mentioned earlier on.

Anyway, thought I 'd share.

Lisa

I absolutely did not know that. That is exactly what I did when I was
pregnant with my DD! Thanks for sharing that.

--
Vidya
mom to Vandu(4)