Old November 13th 03, 09:45 PM
Ilse Witch

Default Pedicures/Calf Massage...total no-no?

Zucca4 wrote:
My lamaze teacher/labor nurse advised no calf massage at all during
pregnancy...something about the blood being heavier during pregnancy and
collecting in the lower body and massage unearthing a clot that could travel to
the lungs and.....you know the rest. I ran it by my doctor and he absolutley
agreed.

I had loads of calf massages when pregnant, especially towards the end
of pregnancy when I would get really bad cramps. The cramps indicate a
build-up of muscle waste products in the muscles, which are normally
removed by the blood stream. In pregnancy this is less effective, but
I honestly have never heard *not* to massage, quite the contrary. The
midwife recommended a calf massage when going to bed and putting the
legs up a bit, to improve circulation. It did help a lot. But then
again, I'm no doctor...

--
-- I
mommy to DS (15m)