Old November 4th 04, 11:01 PM
Banty

In article ikyid.296430$wV.52600@attbi_s54, toypup says...

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
I've noticed that minority and biracial people tend to think there's a use
for such groups, while the only people who have objections to them tend to
be caucasian.

I am not caucasian, my children are bi-racial. I would be qualified in
every way to join this group, but I do not tolerate racism, not even reverse
racism. I have absolutely no use for this group. The group could be
inclusive, maybe one that celebrates diversity. It may focus on one
specific cultural identity, but to exclude an entire group based on racial
background is just wrong. Why is no one taking offense? Because
discrimination against caucasians is okay?

Let me clarify, I think it's fine for birds of a feather to want to flock
together. Most other birds probably would not be interested in that
particular flock. But if a bird of another feather wants to join the flock,
it should be okay.

I dunno about feathers and birds, but I agree with the first paragraph.

It's one thing for a group of parents with something in common to want to have a
special forum. Their own culture or whatever, and how to interact with the
wider world.

It's quite anothre for a group of parents, with the only thing in common being
that they're NOT a particular racial group, to want to have a special forum.
Really - WHAT purpose would it serve, other than the desires of a self-selected
few that don't like "THEM" (whoever the excluded "them" is).

So naturally, there will be resentment. And that resentment is for a reason
that would not mean someone would resent special fora for those of a particular
background, nor would it mean that anyone would not be welcome in a diverse
forum. But not this "Everyone but them" situation. Overt exclusion will be
resented in and of itself.

Banty