Old August 25th 06, 10:28 AM posted to misc.kids,alt.mothers
-L.

Default How Dangerous is Childhood

Chookie wrote:

Not sure I understand what you are getting at here. I want my kids to be
respectful and obedient. I also want them to think for themselves. The issue
is teaching them when they OUGHT to disobey, and that judgement, IMHO, is
difficult enough for adults to make. A child is definitely going to find it
difficult to distinguish between disobeying a teacher because the teacher is
asking them to do something immoral, and disobeying because the teacher is
nasty.

Guess I don't see a lot of difference - neither demands or deserves
respect. It's getting them to undertstand when the line (for each)
has been crossed that is the problem, because it's always open to
interpretation.

I suspect that if you spend a lot of time emphasising disobedience,

If the "you" is not generic and is, in fact, directed at me, I never
said or implied anything about "emphasising disobedience." My approach
would be one more of "de-emphasising obedience". I have no problem
whatsoever teaching my child to question authority.

And I do believe *civil disobedience* is an intregal - and necessary -
part of culture in the US - one that is greatly underused, ATM.

you will
just end up with a bolshy kid who knows all about his rights but not his
responsibilities, but I could be wrong. What do the people with older kids
think?

"Responsibilities" are also open to interpretation. It's a difficult
subject, to be sure...

-L.
(posting from my other account...)