Old February 20th 07, 12:22 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

Default biting

In article ,
Xahne "xahne at btinternet dot com" wrote:

My Little Bug is now 8 months old, and has been happily breast feeding
since she was born.

In the last couple of days, she has started biting instead of feeding.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop her doing this? I
really don't want to stop feeding her myself.

I found yelling "Youch!!!" worked, because it was an immediate response and it
scared them -- but some children have been known to find Mum's yells
entertaining. Another trick is to pull the baby in towards the breast, so
they have to let go to breathe. Other people have taken the child off with a
stern "No!" and not let them back on for a while.

If the change has been sudden, I'd suspect a tooth is on its way. Some kids
bite at the end of a feed as they fall asleep, and prevention (getting her off
earlier) is probably the best response to that.

Good luck in figuring it out!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue