Old July 28th 04, 08:39 PM
Donna Metler

Default Birth plans, c-section, premature birth etc.

I'm looking at writing a birth plan and getting it on file. The thing is
that this delivery WILL be a c-section, since my last delivery ended up
having to be a classical C, so I can't VBAC, and most of the examples I've
found don't deal with that. I would like to breastfeed/pump if at all
possible, but unless someone else is staying with me, I don't know about
having the baby room in for the first 24 hours or so because of recovery
pain (I've had abdominal surgery twice now-I have a good idea of how much
pain I'll be in right afterwards).

In addition, I have a 50% probability that this will end up being another
premature delivery. Therefore, I assume the birth plan will have to be
changed in that instance, and I don't know what is reasonable. If it's
another premature birth, I will probably be on pretty heavy medication
(since that would imply a recurrance of the HELLP), and I don't know if
breastfeeding would be reasonable or not.

Does anyone know of any examples online or have suggestions for birth plans
when you already know it isn't going to be a "perfect" delivery? There's so
much that I really can't control that I want to make sure that in areas
where I can make a choice, I get to do so.