Old January 31st 08, 05:41 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsy

Default Bad latch,small mouth, cracked nipples

On Jan 31, 7:56*am, "Mary W." wrote:
On Jan 31, 5:16 am, "

wrote:
Hi All

Before I post my BA and BS on m.k.p I could do with some advice.

Despite thinking I knew what I was doing second time round I am again
having horrible problems bf'ing.

I was dismayed to find that my second had a much harder time learning
to nurse than my first. I had thought it would be easier the second
time.

After 4 days of the baby being unsatisfied after every feed I spoke to
bf consultant who suggested my latch isn't right. I agree as the
nipple, as well as being cracked and sore, is also going flat shaped.
From what i can figure out ds#2 has a small mouth and so is having
trouble getting lots of breast tissuse in his mouth. I'm working on
the positioning so the nipple is towards the roof of his mouth but
even so he just doesn't seem to be getting enough milk at each feed.
He has refused to sleep from day 2, so just to get some sleep we have
supplemented at night. I know this will not help his latch but no
sleep is not an option, so it's just a temporary measure. From tonight
I am measuring the feeds so will reduce it each night, but for now
they have to stay.

First, I'd have them look for tongue tie as Sarah suggested.

And try different holds - maybe the football hold? Is your milk in?
Are you engorged - that can make it hard for them to latch. Try
pumping just a little right before trying to latch on so you pull the
nipple out and soften the breast some. When he's latched on,
you can do breast compression to help him get more milk and
get some hind milk which is fattier. DD1 was terribly sleepy
with a bad latch her first week. The best thing we did was get
a professional lactation consultant into our home and she
really helped with our problems. You might consider a supplemental
nursing system so that baby get's a bit more a feed and takes
it from the breast. And if you supplement, try not to use bottles.
They will likely mess up the latch more.

DD1's problem was that she wouldn't keep her tongue down
(it went to the roof of her mouth). We did suck training with
our fingers and even used a bottle to help with her suck.
Once she started getting sufficient milk she was more alert.

The other thing you can do once baby latches is to use your
thumb and pull down on his chin. This will sometimes encourage
a better latch and proper fish lips.

I've found that doing this works best during a letdown. The baby is
happily getting milk and relaxes his chin enough to allow it. If your
baby is not latching well enough to stimulate a letdown, you could try
pumping just until you have a letdown, then use this method to work on
his latch.

--Betsy