Old December 12th 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Got my first "request" to nurse DD under a blanket

On Dec 9, 5:58 pm, betsy wrote:
On Dec 8, 6:45 pm, cjra wrote:

no sling. I was just walking with her across my chest. *Her* skin was
showing as her shirt was all pushed up in back, but none of my skin.
(It was 80F outside)

After the worker made the first part of our sandwiches, grumbling all
along, and I walked over to a table to sit, she snottily said "Can you
cover that up with a blanket!" (very much a demand, not a request)
Dumbfounded I said just said No (DH started looking for one, but there
was none in the bag, not that it would have mattered). I just said
"No, she's eating." She snapped back "It's too much. I can see
everything. Please cover THAT up."

I'm sorry you went through that. I think you live in a state where a
mother legally has the right to breastfeed her baby wherever she would
normally have the right to be. I'd consider complaining to the
Quisnos management.

So I said "Fine, we'll leave." Left her the sandwiches unpaid and
walked out.
Of course we were starving....but home wasn't far away.

It wasn't like there was anyone else in the place potentially
bothered, nor was it like you could see *any* skin whatsoever on me.
I'm not sure if she had asked politely if I would have complied - or
at least considered it (except DD would NEVER tolerate a blanket over
her). This woman was incredibly rude from the start.

Oh well, I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Though we don't have as much legal protection, I think I live in a
much more breastfeeding friendly area. In 9 years of nursing
experience with my children, I have never been asked to cover up. If
I went into our local Quisnos and had an experience like that I would
be completely shocked.

--Betsy

I understand about the covering up when i first started breastfeeding
my first child my mom was always bugging me about covering up in front
of people so I just started covering up in front of her to keep her
mouth shut