Old August 6th 03, 03:31 PM
chiam margalit

Default Treadmill for a child

Howard Sage wrote in message ...
My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

A close friend of mine has a 12 YO son with quite a serious weight
problem, and he's been using a treadmill for about 6 months now. It
HAS helped quite a bit. He uses a regular treadmill that they keep in
their basement level of a split level home. They had the treadmill
before he started his exercise program, so he's using the treadmill
his mother bought for herself. It does fold up, but I don't know the
brand. I don't think you need to make any different choices in your
purchase because of your child's age. At 11 he's probably the size of
a small adult woman anyhow, or at least close to it. I'd look at
Consumers and see what they recommend for the features you're looking
for, and go with that model.

As far as safety, as long as your child understands that this is not a
toy and he's not to play on it, it should be fine. Simple safety like
not wearing loose clothing and wearing shoes are common sense issues.
As far as reliability goes, again look at Consumers and see what they
recommend.

My friend's son watches his favorite TV shows while doing his
treadmill time, and he doesn't actively complain, so this must be
enough incentive. Kids can also read and walk at the same time, if
your son is a reader.

Good luck!

Marjorie