Old September 9th 06, 04:06 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.education,alt.parenting.solutions,misc.kids.health,alt.support.attn-deficit
nimue

Default Seeking straight A's, parents push for pills

Raving wrote:
Raving Beauty wrote:
nimue wrote:
toto wrote:
I am a
teacher and I can tell you that kids who get As usually do so
because they love learning.

Bull****.

Getting straight A's necessitates one PLAY THE GAME

A) Feed teachers demand for narcissistic supply

B) Appease teachers demand for form over substance

C) Always subordinate the truth to being an A student

etc.

I would roughly agree with Raving Beauty on this one.

Those classes that I learned the most in, were the ones that I
*really* had to struggle to learn. Coasting along with a near
perfect score is dumb.

That may be true, but that has nothing to do with what Raving Beauty said.

Being penalized for struggling and failing is dumb, dumb and dumber.

Yeah, RB didn't say that, either. FYI, that is a very touchy subject. If
you have a kid who does every homework, has perfect attendance, and gives
his all AND still fails tests and quizzes, what do you do? Do you pass him?
After all, he has tried. Still, his writing is terrible and his reading
comp almost nil. So, what do you do?

Struggling and eventually prevailing is the *sweetest* of all, IMO.

Cordially,

Raving

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

English is our friend. We don't have to fight it.
Oprah