Old November 19th 03, 09:19 PM
Welches

Default pestilence and public places

Marie wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
Ever since the kidlets came home from the hospital, they and I have found
that we *really* cope better with each other if we get out of the house

and
wander public places like shopping malls. I don't think a weekday goes by
that we aren't somewhere window shopping and, since the kidlets are twins,
we do attract a lot of attention: most people I find are really good

about
not touching them or sticking their faces too close to the babes'.

My mom was visiting yesterday, and expressed grave concerns about this

habit
now that cold and flu season is upon us. She thinks I'm exposing the boys
to too many germs.

The boys are up to date with their standard vaccinations. In addition,

they
are receiving Menugate and Prevnar. And because they were preemies, they
are also receiving the RSV vaccine.

How much of a danger are the kids in by going out?

Most people are good about not going close if they've a cold. If you're
feeding them then they shouldn't be in much danger at all.
Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one

way
or the other)?

Don't bother really. Apparently the latest flu jab protects against one sort
of flu-but not the owrst sort going round. Anyway flu mutates so quickly
that even if it stops them from getting it from one person there's a
reasonable chance they'll get a slightly mutated version from another.

Go out. Don't worry. It's much easier when you're out, and they'll enjoy it.
You'll all benefit from the fresh air too.
Debbie