Old November 20th 03, 04:43 AM
Kathy Cole

Default pestilence and public places

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:11:23 GMT, "Marie" wrote:

My mom was visiting yesterday, and expressed grave concerns about this
habit now that cold and flu season is upon us. She thinks I'm exposing
the boys to too many germs.

I wouldn't take mom's word for that.

The boys are up to date with their standard vaccinations. In addition,
they are receiving Menugate and Prevnar. And because they were
preemies, they are also receiving the RSV vaccine.

Is Menugate the meningitis C vaccine? That one's not recommended for
routine administration here.

How much of a danger are the kids in by going out?

Not that much more than another kid of their size.

Should we get them flu shots (our doctor is willing but not pushing one
way or the other)?

I would get them flu shots (we also had prevnar and synagis for my
youngest, in addition to flu), and maintain your current routine except
when your or the kids are ill, or if your doctor recommends strongly
against it with what seem to be reasonable arguments.