Old April 27th 05, 01:33 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Dawn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to everyone so far for the excellent suggestions. Just to
clarify, we already have taken each of the steps suggested. He did try
to get the study guide from another student, but we weren't able to
locate anyone -- it's complicated, but this particular class is not in
his regular "group" and he doesn't know many kids from the class -- and
wasn't able to contact the few he did know.

At my daughter's high school at the beginning of the year each child and
parent signs a contract for each class. On the contract is a space to fill
in the names of two fellow classmates who are also in that class, that will
be their contacts in case they miss homework assignments. The contract is
not accepted without those two names. Might be something to add to your
list of steps at the beginning of each year.

I check his planner every
day, period. That's the kind of thing you absolutely have to do with
an ADD kids. I was told at orientation that every class's homework
would be on the website -- that has only been true for one of his four
teachers consistently. When the assignments are online, the actual
worksheets are not. So in this case I knew the study guide was due but
couldn't access the study guide. Lastly, we met with all the teachers
at the beginning of the year and twice since then. This one has also
refused to let him to go the nurse to get needed medication for
migraine headaches. It's my personal opinion that she has just decided
not to like him for who-knows-what reason.

This is just sad.

She's been rude to me in person and in e-mail. I'm not willing to
schedule another conference, it's time to take this to her superior in
my view. Hence, the IEP question. For his good, I need some assurance
that we're not just going to rely on the kindness of teachers (as
wonderful as that is when it happens).

I hope a discussion with the vice principal will at least get this teacher
to be civil, allow him to get medication, post study guides, and basically
be treated like she would treat another adult.

-Dawn