Old June 4th 07, 08:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default reading lists

Jeff wrote:
bizby40 wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

The books "Harry Potter and the
Sorcere's Stone" and "Harry Potter and the Philsopher's Stone" were
rated to be at different grade levels. Except for the name of the
book and the stone within the book, they are basically the same book.

But assuming that these were American grade levels, "Harry Potter and
the Philsopher's Stone" might well be considered to be a slightly
higher grade level book because it has more unfamiliar words.

That would be like 1 in 10,000 words changed, all from philosopher's to
socerer's or the other way around. So I don't think so.

Wouldn't that depend on how the rating algorithm works?
If it compiles a list of words and rates based on the highest
level word, well, it would only take one word. I rather suspect
the algorithm is significantly more complicated than that, but
I believe there are far more word changes changing from British
English to American English than just 1 in 10,000.

Best wishes,
Ericka