Old June 4th 07, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Default reading lists

Jeff wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
Jeff wrote:
bizby40 wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message

The books "Harry Potter and the Sorcere's Stone" and "Harry Potter
and the Philsopher's Stone" were rated to be at different grade
levels. Except for the name of the book and the stone within the
book, they are basically the same book.

But assuming that these were American grade levels, "Harry Potter
and the Philsopher's Stone" might well be considered to be a
slightly higher grade level book because it has more unfamiliar words.

That would be like 1 in 10,000 words changed, all from philosopher's
to socerer's or the other way around. So I don't think so.

Wouldn't that depend on how the rating algorithm works?
If it compiles a list of words and rates based on the highest
level word, well, it would only take one word. I rather suspect
the algorithm is significantly more complicated than that, but
I believe there are far more word changes changing from British
English to American English than just 1 in 10,000.

There are. But, AFIK, only title changed. Obviously, they had to change
the name of the stone in the book, too, or American readers would have
been confused. The remaining books' text were identical in America and
Britain.

Actually, there was a thread about this a while back
and someone posted a website listing the changes. There were
substantially more than just changing "philosopher's stone" to
"sorceror's stone."

Best wishes,
Ericka