Old March 14th 05, 06:17 PM
Catherine Woodgold

"shinypenny" ) writes:
As I've walked with her on other parts of the route, inevitably someone
who is lost will pull over and ask me for directions (lots of
out-of-staters). I have explained to DD that no adult should ever pull
over and ask a kid for directions, and if one does, she should NEVER
stop to give directions. Still, it concerns me that every time we walk
this stretch, someone stops me for directions (yesterday we got stopped
twice).

I wonder whether you've shown her the way to behave
when someone asks for directions. You could tell
her, "the next 3 times someone asks for directions,
I won't answer politely the way I usually do, but
I'll show you how you should respond when you're
alone." Then you could, I don't know, ignore them
and not look at them and keep walking, or run away,
or whatever you think your daughter ought to do.

If you always answer them politely, I think it will
be very hard for your daughter to do otherwise
when alone.
--
Cathy
A *much* better world is possible.