Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sarah Vaughan

Default Winter babies

Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.
My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

I was thinking about waiting atleast 2 weeks. But If it isn't safe for

them to be out in the weather I will walk the dogs alone. Just
curious.

thanks for the help.

Jamie was a November baby and we took him out plenty of times in cold
weather. Just asked my husband what sort of level he would say the
temperature was at the time, and he estimates just above freezing at the
lowest (I don't know what that is in Fahrenheit).

My main worry (which I may or may not have been making too much of) was
how to deal with it when we went into somewhere warm like a shop, having
been out in the cold. Since he was wrapped up warmly enough to be out
in the cold, I didn't want him overheating when we went indoors, but I
also didn't want to be constantly pulling layers on and off him.
Presumably this wouldn't be a consideration if you were walking the dogs
rather than going to the shops.

However, what I eventually found easiest was to use the front carrier.
I think we had a Tomy, which came with its own warm cover for the baby,
and of course when I was carrying him I had my body heat to keep him
warm and also knew I'd be able to tell more easily if he was getting
chilled. I had him in the carrier a lot of the time anyway indoors, so
it was very easy either to slip the cover over it or just to put on a
big coat and wrap it round both of us - much easier than fussing around
with tiny jumpers and coats and strapping him into a pushchair.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell