Old October 9th 08, 11:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

Default OT women's question

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..
not pregnancy just women's stuff, but I really need to ask about this and
my brain just isn't functioning well for me to work if out from scratch.

I've always suffered from something premenstural, maybe not right from the
very first period, but within a few months, I don't recall any physical
symptoms from my teenage years, just really intense emotions, including
self loathing, even considering suicide for a couple of days before my
period. I was on the combined contraceptive pill for a while in my mid to
late teens for acne and I think it did some wierd things to my mood but it
took a while for me to associate them and then have the confidence to
stop.

Thankfully in my late teens and early 20s I had long cycles, these
feelings, though hard, also served as my warning that my period was now
due.

I got pregnant almost exactly 6 years ago, I then managed to be pregnant
or breastfeeding until a bit under 2 years, at which time I was using a
Mirena (IUD with progesterone) for family planning and I never had a cycle
whilst on it, but wondering if it was causing some side effects I had it
removed in January 2007.

Since then the time of altered mood seems to be getting longer, mainly I
am very irritable for 4 or 5 days, but I'm also having physical symptoms
too and they last even longer, almost as soon as ovulation has occured my
breasts get sore and shortly afterwards I'll get quite bloated, I also
seem more inclined towards generalised pain in the week before I'm due.

For some reason I've been really bad at discussing this with my doctor, I
did discuss it with my obgyn about 9 months ago, he ordered an ultrasound
because I was also having really painful periods, which was fine and
between having it done and getting the results I'd had another which had
been much less painful, so when we talked about the results, which were
nothing noted, I wasn't at a point where I wanted to take something.

It seems like combined pills might have changed a lot in the ten or so
years since I last took it, back then they were saying you could run packs
together but only once and not too often, now it seems the conclusion is
that it doesn't matter and there are some brands which you take several
months on the trot, I think my mood issues when taking them were in part
related to the week off, so might not happen if I was taking them
continuously, but I don't know how that affects physical stuff as if it
tips me into an equivalent state of the wrong half of the month then it
could just be bad all the time!

To be honest I think I'd rather try natural stuff, not hormones, I'm not
convinced it's a great idea to put artificial hormones into myself on a
long term basis when I've already shown I have sensitivity to hormones -
but I haven't a clue where to start looking on natural type stuff and I
have a horrible tendancy of each month thinking I should do it but then
whilst I'm in the bad bit feeling too bad to do it and while I'm in the
good bit being far too optimistic to do it!

Cross your fingers that my period arrives soon, it could easily be today,
or Monday or Tuesday I think, but I do seem to be fairly random at the
moment! Sooner would be better!

I don't know if you can access this BBc article, but it's suggesting St.
John's Wort for depression.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/he...00/7659466.stm

It doesn't sound exatly what you need, but it could be worth trying.
Debbie