Old November 13th 03, 01:57 PM
Mom2B

Default Pedicures/Calf Massage...total no-no?

Sounds a bit strange to me!

My pregnancy book also advises massaging the affected area for leg cramps
(In addition to standing up or flexing the muscles up).

"Zucca4" wrote in message
My lamaze teacher/labor nurse advised no calf massage at all during
pregnancy...something about the blood being heavier during pregnancy and
collecting in the lower body and massage unearthing a clot that could

travel to
the lungs and.....you know the rest. I ran it by my doctor and he

absolutley
agreed. I was a bit surprised as no one advised against this during the
beginning of my pregnancy
(now in week 38) and I had a ton of pedicures with very deep accupressure

to my
calves. My doctor even went so far as to say that during a Charley Horse

or
leg cramp not to massage the calf which is so instinctive for me. He said

it
could be dangerous and I should just flex my foot or stand up.

I'm kind of annoyed it wasn't mentioned earlier on.

Anyway, thought I 'd share.

Lisa