Old October 4th 03, 03:10 PM
Tracy Cramer

Default military schools?

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:35:34 -0600, "ColoradoSkiBum"
wrote:

What is ODD? I've heard of OCD, but not ODD.

As others have been kind enough to tell you, it's Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
Typically when you have ADD, there are other disorders that go along with it,
such as ODD or OCD.

The main reason that I think DS has ODD is that he could argue with me for
*hours*. I've never seen a child with that kind of stamina. Usually, it would go
like this:

DS: Can I (whatever)?
Mom: No, because (reason).
DS: Please? Please? Come on, just let me (whatever).
Mom: I said no. I mean no. Stop asking.

From there, he would go from pleading to being very angry at me and saying some
nasty things. I would stop responding to him after a few minutes and he would
actually *follow* me around, getting in my face, and continue to harangue me
about whatever it was he wanted. It was not unusual for him to continue this for
TWO HOURS. There were a couple of times he actually had me in tears because I
was so frustrated over his behaviour.

I wasn't aware that you *could* have a child "committed" to the juvenile
corrections system. How does that work? Not that I'm interested in that
for my own SS, I think that would be the wrong thing, but I'm definitely
curious about this.

In our case, DS committed a crime, so the police and then the courts were
involved. We did not have to get them involved; we could have handled it
ourselves, but we felt it was important to send a message to DS that this
behaviour would not be tolerated anymore.

I'm not sure whether you can have a child committed like this without going
through the legal channels as we did. I will tell you, though, that until we got
him a guardian ad litem, we didn't have any idea that this was possible. We did
it this way because we felt that by going through the intensive programs he's in
now, he'd have a far better chance of changing his behaviour for good.

Tracy
We child proofed our home 3 years ago
and they're still getting in!