Old September 6th 08, 12:04 PM posted to misc.kids
NL

Default school supplies!

Anne Rogers schrieb:

It's not very challenging at all. A good while before
the activity requiring the supplies you send home a note that
says the class is collecting pizza boxes for a project and
asking folks to send in whatever pizza boxes they have. When
the required number have been collected, send another note home
saying mission accomplished. Problem solved. You just have to
plan ahead.

Good in theory, but would you honestly get your donation there as
willingly and as quickly if you knew it was just going towards a general
total, rather than having the pressure of possibly on that day if you
didn't send the child with the relevant thing that they would be upset
at being left out - if I'm the only parent that would in practice end up
behaving like that then your system would work, I may well have a unique
personality trait, but I doubt it.

Well, in Kindergarten Kids were asked to bring in eggs to paint for
easter, you know, plain eggs with the contents blown out.
Over the course of maybe two years I had collected about 30 such eggs.
Every time I baked and didn't need to separate the eggs I'd blow them
out instead of cracking the egg. I used the shells myself as decorations
for easter, just plain, not painted or anything. Well, I asked at the
kindergarten how many eggs they needed and she said four where fine, but
if I had any extra to go ahead and bring them in. I think they were
rather stunned when I brought in 30 shells the next day.

So, telling me to collect stuff to go toward a common goal would be just
fine because then I could go ahead and hit shoe stores when I'm actually
near them instead of going on a hunt on the one day they give me to find
a shoebox.

But in general I appreciate it if I am being given some time to collect
stuff instead of being put on the spot a day ahead and basically have
24hours to come up with a plan.

cu
nicole