Old July 7th 03, 11:18 AM
Gary

Default Reminder charts for midnight madness?

As a new father of twin boys I often find myself at 3 AM, when I am
not thinking very clearly and do not have loads of patience,
confronted with one or more unhappy babies.

They've been home about 4 weeks and I am learning slowly what
possibilities exist for calming the boys. They include:

Feeding
Swaddling
Pacifier
Placing in vibro-massage seat
Cuddling
Singing (this has not worked yet)
Changing diaper
Placing in sling
Burping
Placing on tummy temporarily

Then you have the behaviors that lead you to choose one or the other.

OK this is where it gets tricky. I've learned that constant loud
crying/screaming is usually a sign of being hungry. Less intense
fussy/fidgety is often wet/poopy diaper. Digestion/peristalsys/gas is
usually loud groaning (I also don't know what to do about this except
let it happen). There is also bored/lonely which might be occasional
crying.

Along with the feeding schedule and diaper count we are tracking on
our white board, I'm thinking of coming up with a checklist of "what
finally worked" to settle one or the other kid down.

Just wondered if anyone had already done something like this. It's OK
to say I will learn it as I go along but I want my kids to get to that
"happy place" ASAP.