Old October 28th 03, 01:24 AM
Vicki

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

"Donna Metler" wrote :
Vicki wrote:
Luckily dd's teacher is very nice. The principal seems good. We're

friends
with people on the school board. We are supportive of the school and

have
had a good relationship in the past. dh volunteered in the classroom

last
year. We initiated and donated money to start a community fund to

finance
special projects or trips that teachers might want to do... I'm not

saying
that the letter from the principal *isn't* about money... it just seems
misguided if that's what its about. It surprised us, got our

attention...
but not in a good way. I'm angered by the letter. Maybe she is

required
send the letter and has no over-ride authority. I don't see this as an
issue the school board would have authority over... I don't know who

we're
supposed to talk with, and what options are legal. dd will be truant by
their definition. Then what? I don't know.

She is almost certainly required by law to send it. I would strongly

suggest
getting documentation from your doctor, if possible, on past absenses, and
certainly getting documentation for ANY further medical absense.

Do you think my doctor will give me documentation for dd having the flu
three weeks ago when we didn't visit the office? I'll call and ask. Do
most of you take your kids to the doctor when they have the flu? I did call
the nurse's line b/c we thought it might be meningitis, but I don't know if
they document that, I'll have to call the hospital and ask. It'll be a good
use of their time to look through the records, to prove my dd was sick.
Egads. This boils my blood. If everyone is being required to take their
kids to the doctor when they have a fever in order to let them rest at home,
then no wonder our health insurance rates are going up. What a nutty law.