Old August 10th 03, 08:28 PM
Laurie

Default Solids; 4 months vs 6?

Naomi Pardue wrote in message
What I'm wondering is exactly why the recommendation has been changed from

4
to 6 months.

I think the recommondation actually says something like "babies don't need
solids until they are six months old." Which is not the same as saying that

baby who is showing signs of readiness will be harmed by being given them
before that time.

And certainly plenty of babies ARE ready for solids before 6 months, and do
fine on them.
I think you have to look at your own situation. If Christopher will take

some
solids, and it enables him to get through your work hours without becoming
miserably hungry (and maybe he'd even be willing to take some EBM from a

cup
once he's been reminded that food can come from sources other than mom)

this
strikes me as an entirely sensible solution.
(Shaina would never take a bottle from anyone but me, but DH was able to

feed
her solids without trouble. We started her at 5 months, per the 4-6 month
recommondation current at the time.)

Just avoid the allergenic solids and I think things should be fine.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

Thanks Naomi; I've read all the responses and will apply to more when I get
a chance, but you have all been very helpful!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 28 months
and Christopher, 16 weeks

*This email address is now valid*