Old June 2nd 04, 04:35 AM
Rosalie B.

Default TV choices and tweens

I don't remember making any restrictions on what my kids watched.
Basically they were too busy to watch much TV. Specifically, they
went to the barn after school to care for their horses, and came home
at dark and did their homework and went to bed. We got our first pony
when dd#1 was about 14. Before that they were at swim team which I
was coaching every afternoon, and most weekends were involved with
swim meets.

I myself watch very little in the way of movies or anything with
violence and high drama.

Thinking about what my grandkids watch or don't watch - I know that
dd#2 allows her son to watch pokemon and he collects or collected the
cards. He was allowed to watch in the morning before school if he got
up and dressed. That was when he was 8. I watched with him sometimes
and I didn't see anything particularly objectionable although I never
got into it. Now that he is 10, he seems to be not interested any
more. DD#2 allows her daughter, now 4, to watch stuff that I can't
handle, but she (granddaughter) seems perfectly fine with it. I mean
it doesn't give her nightmares or anything.

DD#3 does not allow her 3 yo to watch Sponge Bob, but dd#2's daughter
watched that when she was that age.

At present (leaving out my oldest two grandchildren who are 23 and 21)
the oldest grandchild I have is 11 and AFAIK this hasn't come up as
that family does not have cable or sat TV so it is only the local
channels that they get and that is not very good quality. They also
don't have access to the internet.

grandma Rosalie