Old July 18th 03, 05:08 PM
JG

Default U.S. bill would require labels to warn of choking

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message
. ..

Adler said she even asked her pediatrician about hot dogs and was

told
they posed no special risk to her son.

I wonder how old her son was at the time she asked the pediatrician; if
he (the son) was four, it's quite possible the doctor was simply relying
on AAP guidelines. (See
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/food.htm).

Is she going to sue her ped?

Hehe. And if the ped doesn't have a lot of $$$, maybe she could go
after the AAP.

"I am an educated person but I never realized how dangerous a hot

dog
could be."

BS, IMO. "Never realized"? More likely "never bothered to think
about." (And just *what* did she ask the pediatrician about; hot dog
nutrition? Nitrates?) The "word" about the choking danger posed by hot
dogs (and grapes, popcorn, nuts,...) has been out for a long time.
Apparently there are even reports of knife-wielding strangers
approaching toddlers and cutting up their hot dogs for them. (See
http://www.city.davis.ca.us/pcs/chil...ng-2001nov.pdf.
)

If hot dogs and other such foods get warning labels, then we are going
to get a lot of warning labels.

....At an enormous cost and inconvenience. Shoot, I sometimes have
trouble getting the stickers off plums and apples now; itty-bitty
stickers on grapes are gonna be a REAL pain in the ass.g (And to the
eyes; my vision's deteriorating.) sigh