Old July 18th 03, 11:04 PM
Mark

Default U.S. bill would require labels to warn of choking

"Roger Schlafly" wrote in message . ..
"Elizabeth Reid" wrote
U.S. bill would require labels to warn of choking
"I am an educated person but I never realized how dangerous a hot dog
could be."

So what's your feeling about this, JG? Here's an educated person
who missed a danger. Should an "expert" have warned her, or not?

The danger is exaggerated. How many kids die every year from hot
dogs? Most toddlers can chew hot dogs just fine. Mine loved hot
dogs, and never had a problem.

You didn't answer the question. Should pediatricians bring up the
topic of choking hazards and risk offending "educated" parents (such
as yourself), or should they wait around until they get sued by the
parents of a dead kid because they DIDN'T warn the parents about
choking hazards? You seem to be coming down on both sides of this
one.

Mark, MD

P.S. The extent of the warnings I give to parents is generally, "At
his age he can eat anything he isn't going to choke on." I try to
trust their common sense, and they can't say I didn't mention it.