Old July 8th 03, 08:03 PM
Rosalie B.

Default Vending Machines in schools

x-no-archive:yes toto wrote:

I think though it is probably dependent on having a closed campus.

At the high school my kids went to, the kids can go out for lunch
and their is a burger king, a mcdonald's and a KFC a few blocks
down the street and a grocery store even closer if they want to
just buy snack and junk food.

The high schools that my kids went to were out in the country and
they would have to drive several miles to get to anywhere where they
could buy anything. The same was even true for the suburban high
school that I went to. I could walk home, but there was nowhere else
for me to walk to where I could buy anything. And I didn't really
have the time to walk home even though my house was only about a block
from the school.

In many high schools the kids are bused in, and have no access to
their own transportation. Therefore unless they can walk to
somewhere, or they drive to school, the campus is in effect closed.
Even in one of the schools that my kids attended where there is a
small store across the street, they'd have to cross a busy highway,
and the little store probably doesn't want hordes of kids in the
store.

For the younger kids who cannot go off-campus, it will work, for
high school students. I doubt it unless we keep them from going
anywhere else and I am not in favor of closing campuses and
making teens prisoners for the entire school day as is done in
some places.

I think you might rethink that if you realized that in many cases for
the kids to go off campus, they will have to get into a car and drive.
I think that having teens drive to and from school just so they can go
off campus is a bad idea and unsafe in the bargain. It's all very
well to have an open campus if there's somewhere close and safe to go
to. That isn't true in a lot of cases.

grandma Rosalie